FCQ members design and make quilt blocks not just to incorporate into their own quilts, but as a way to say thank you; to comfort others who are going through tough times; and to share and swap.
We give thank-you blocks to members who have served in some capacity
on the board of directors or as a committee chair. Recipients can select
the block of their choice and the colors they prefer.
The following suggested blocks should have a finished size of 6 ½” square
Current Thank-You Blocks
- Rose Panczenko (quilt show co-chair) – Magic 9 patch blocks, medium teal /lime green.
- Sheva Farkas (quilt show co-chair) – Jewel tone batiks and whites, nine patch.
- MaryBeth Little (day vice president) –patch blocks that we made from the April 2013 newsletter. The directions are in that newsletter on our website, but essentially, it’s just 2 1/2 ” squares stitched together into a square (4 across and 4 down) the more variety, the better.
- Amy May (night vice president) – Black and white magic nine patch.
- Sandy Reading (day secretary) – 5 inch any color bright Batik blocks.
- Heart Blocks. We make and send heart blocks to comfort members who are suffering from a serious illness. Once again these blocks should measure 6 ½” square finished. Possible Heart Block patterns include:
- Blocks of the Month and Quarter. Most months we have a Block of the Month (BOM) challenge. The newsletter contains the pattern for the month’s block. Interested members can make this block to contribute to the collection. On the first Thursday of the month a name is drawn to see who wins the collection. Likewise we have a quarterly challenge whose blocks allow a little more creativity. And these, too, will be drawn.
- Christmas Stockings Each year we make and donate Christmas stockings to the church where we meet. Tutorial here: http://cluckclucksew.com/2010/12/tutorial-lined-stocking-with-cuff.html