Faithful Circle Quilters support breast cancer research through the Susan G. Komen Foundation of Maryland. You can find out more about the Race for the Cure by clicking here (http://www.komenmd.org) . Each year, FCQ makes quilts which are raffled on Komen’s Race Day. To date, FCQ quilts have raised nearly $20,000 for Komen.
Susan G. Komen of Maryland first contacted FCQ guild member Sue Haney, who agreed to begin making quilts.
When Sue asked Guild members to help for the 2005 raffle, charter guild member Virginia Fry made a quilt AND a matching pillow to go along with it. It sold so many tickets, we decided to add a travel pillow to each quilt we donate. In 2007, guild member Stephanie Sanidas began making quilted pillow covers—mostly from fabric provided by the quiltmaker—to match each donated quilt.
When guild member Jane Pollitt displayed her Komen quilt during our guild meeting Show and Tell, Mary Beth Little wanted to buy tickets. Leah Hurwich spoke with the Komen representative about it. FCQ members have since been making quilts and pillows, and selling raffle tickets.
If you’d like to help, the following is a list of ways you can be involved. Please click here to contact Stephanie Sanidas to find out what donations are needed most.
• Make a quilt top and back
• Machine quilt a quilt (yours or someone else’s)
• Sew a binding on a quilt
• Make a coordinating pillow cover (from quilt fabrics provided from one of the quilts)
• Provide the complete quilt and pillow cover (or fabric for the coordinating pillow cover)
• Donate batting and/or 12”x 16” pillow forms
• Volunteer space to store the items until they are turned over to Komen
• Suggest places to display the quilts for selling raffle tickets
• Sell raffle tickets
Click here to view the entire gallery of 2012 Raffle Quilts.